or banded octopus is a dangerous sea animal often found in rocks pools along the coast of Australia.
It is not known for attacking people but can bite if handled,or stepped on, which is why it should never be picked up or touched in any way.
It is approximately 20cm in diameter with extended tentacles and its yellowish-brown body is covered with irregular blue rings and marking.
When disturbed these rings turn a brilliant electric blue colour.
It has a small parrot like beak on the underside of its body which it uses to kill shellfish and other small sea animals by injecting venom into them.
Whilst its bite is not felt by humans, the effects of its venom is immediate and can sometimes be fatal.
The toxin is created through bacteria found in the salivary glands of this octopus. The main component of the venom of the Blue-Ringed Octopus is tetrodotoxin which is what causes motor paralysis and respiratory arrest.
To date there is no anti-venom for this posion.
Return to Home Page